Monday, January 10, 2011

What can I do about hatred?

Like many of us, I have been thinking since Saturday's horrific shootings in Arizona about the current culture of hateful rhetoric which sometimes becomes more than rhetoric and moves into action which results in horror and tragedy.  I find it so easy to stand outside of the tragedy and distance myself from the actions of a Loughner or a Seung-hui Cho (Virginia Tech) or any of the many tragedies that have been in the news over the past years.  Surely I could never do anything like that---could I?

As part of my journey toward being a peacemaker, trying to follow Jesus, I have had to recognize and accept that I have the same capacity for violence as any killer or bomber or abuser, and that my violence is only on a different part of the spectrum from what I am seeing in the news.  I may not get to the point where I make the headlines, but there are ways that I participate (or choose not to) in hateful speech.  I am on the road toward violence:
  • When I listen to the negative, judging, MEAN inner voices that question my worth, I step toward using those same criteria on others;
  • When I judge myself or others harshly, without compassion, I am adding to the culture of hate;
  • When I refuse to admit that I might be wrong (SUCH a struggle at times), I am setting myself up as a little tin god, master of the universe, creator rather than created; 
  • When I seek certainty (being right, even about God) instead of trusting, I am, again, outside my limits as a finite human being;
  • When I push myself beyond reasonable limits so that I am constantly tired and irritable, I am refusing to accept my humanity, often in the name of ambition that is not really consistent with what have become my core values;
  • When I violate my own boundaries or allow others to do so, I am acting out of the belief that who I am does not matter, setting myself up for resentment which can lead to small (or not so small) acts of violence against myself or others;
  • When I refuse to forgive (which can sometimes take a long time, but the willingness is a start and often I even need to pray for that), I am forgetting how often I have needed and received forgiveness, putting huge amounts of energy into building walls that keep me separate, judging, hurting and ready to hurt.
I have learned all of these things about myself, and I am still a long way from being the person I believe God is creating me to be--and I have to seek forgiveness from God and others (and forgive myself) on a daily basis for that, too!  Making God my first priority, paying attention to where God is present throughout the day, seeking to let God be God, these and many other small disciplines (and more that God will show me as I am ready) are all pieces of the discipline I am learning as I seek to center my life in God, not me.  I want to be part of the culture of love, compassion, mutual bearing of burdens--the vision Jesus shared of the kingdom of God that is within us.  I believe that desire is, itself, one of the many graces of God and that God will use that to draw my heart toward peacemaking.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I just came to your blog from Brené's Dream Lab e-course. I almost left straight away once I saw you were talking about God. Luckily, I realised I was being judgmental and closed-minded and committed to staying for at least 1 minute, which turned into half an hour after I got to reading this post.

    Your words: "When I listen to the negative, judging, MEAN inner voices that question my worth, I step toward using those same criteria on others", have driven home the same point Brené makes in "Gifts of Imperfection" in a way that went straight to my heart. I understood Brenés point on this matter, intellectually but there's just something about the way you've put it that made me go "Oh!". Clarity is the best word I can think of for it.

    If you notice other people grappling with this concept during the class, it might be helpful to share with them the way you've phrased it here.

    I might "see" you in class but if not, good luck with it!


    Katherine Herriman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Katherine, for posting a comment. You are my first comment on the blogsite, congratulations! I don't know what you win, but congratulations, anyway.

    Thank you also for the feedback. I think we all need to hear this truth in many different ways, since we all come to this with different filters between our embedded beliefs and the changes we are trying to make (or be). I did post my blogsite in the DL comments, but did not make it a link to this particular post.

    Concerning talking about God, I do want to make this blog as inclusive as possible, but I come to that goal as a follower of Jesus (I hesitate to use the word Christian as there is so much negative baggage about this word!). I have no agenda to convert or coerce anyone, but I am trying to write about practical ways to live as a person of faith.

    I do remember "seeing" you, I think we were among the first to comment on Monday! Glad to "meet" you this way, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy,
    I am so glad that you posted this in the Dream Lab website. I too am walking in my journey to be more spirit-filled and a reflection of Jesus, and I think that in doing this we try to be that for others, but in most cases do not treat ourselves in the same way? The simple truth of being salt and light is impossible if we (I) keep extinguishing my own light.
    So glad you are on this journey too!
    Carol Swett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Carol, I am grateful that you responded. Following Jesus is an amazing adventure, never boring!

    ReplyDelete